Saturday, July 23, 2011

Bose® QuietComfort® 3 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® Headphones



This is an update of a review I had left a while ago. . . I've had this headset for 3 years and used them for everything from commuting on a train for an 11 hour flight.

I had no doubt buy the QC3, to ensure that all prices would drive most people away. I also compared them with some other headphones I own: Shure E2C in-ear headphones, and Sennheiser HD280 Pro around the ear headphones I have for my stereo. Bose has been my primary travel and commuting headphones.

Sound Quality:
-The music from a stereo, the quality is very good, but the ear proper placement is key. I think because of the on-ear design, if not exactly something one becomes subdued treble and midrange. Once you know where your sweet spot is, it is not very important to adjust the position. The sound quality is very good at all frequencies, and gives surprisingly good bass. I think the sound is close to my Sennheiser which has a small nod to the accuracy and soundstage. For MP3/iTunes purchased music, I compared the QC3 with E2C and Bose get nod especially with the bass (which is difficult to get in the ears, but a perfect seal.)


Noise Reduction:
-It was great for noise reduction. I had compared them with previous QC2 (QC 15 predecessor) around the ear headphones at the Bose store. Surprisingly, I found the QC3 be better than QC2s, go figure. During the flight, I found QC3s really weakened planes and other background sounds pretty good. Be aware that there is a feeling of pressure, which can be uncomfortable for some, so best to try them before purchase. I thought it strange at first, but was fine with it on my flight. I watched three movies and listen to MP3 files and slept without any problem in just one flight.

Comfort:
-I must say that I think QC3s to be the most comfortable for me personally than any of my other headphones. The ear cushions are very comfortable. I usually wear glasses and around the ear design is not convenient for me with my glasses on for long periods and I can not get a good acoustic seal with my HD-280 with glasses (and I have no bulky frames). The QC3s was quite comfortable on a long flight.

Noise leakage:
-Minimum of the best from my point of view when in a quiet room. My wife has never complained when I use them while she tried to sleep.

Durability:
-Reasonable construction. They have survived placed in my portfolio, but often the case for the past three years. Not bulletproof, but if you take good care of electronics, this should not be a problem (I put them at long distances).

Battery life:
Claimed-life is 20 hours, and it is probably correct. I have not measured it recently, but the battery still holds a charge well after several years. I had not charged the battery on the round-trip flights to and from Rome to Chicago and listen some time before and after. Sorry, you're out of luck when the battery dies. . . pack the charger or an extra battery (too expensive of course!).

Price:
Bose charging relatively high prices for their products. Given any outstanding options out there that Audio Technica AC7s, it's really amazing Bose has not lowered the price on these.


Bottom row:
-For me, the contract manufacturer was pleasant to the ear design with great sound quality, no dangling external power, and excellent noise reduction.

No comments:

Post a Comment